HMA GUIDELINES FOR PREPARING HALAL CONSUMABLES
CUTTING AND HANDLING OF HALAL MEAT
- Pig slaughter is not permitted in an abattoir conducting halal slaughter.
- Halal slaughter must be conducted on a sanitized and cleaned line with sanitized equipment in an abattoir that provides non-halal slaughter along with halal slaughter.
- All equipment used for cutting, hanging, transporting, further processing must be sanitized prior to halal production.
- There must be no mixing of halal meat with non halal meat either in the abattoir, processing area(s), freezers, chillers or at the time of packing, loading, unloading and/or transportation.
- Halal meat must be stored separately from non halal meats at all times by either:
- storing in a separate facility or,
- storing in a separate compartment within the same facility. (This should only be resorted to in extreme cases.)
In the event of halal meat being stored in the same facility as non halal meat the following must be considered:
- All loose halal meat must be packed and stored in an isolated corner of the facility so that no kind of contact is made with non halal meat.
- All halal meat must be labelled.
- The handlers of halal meat must be versed with the issues of contamination and understand halal.
For the purpose of HMA halal certification of consumer packaged goods, all ingredients and sub-ingredients must be pre-approved by the HMA to ensure that they are halal.